Monday, August 29, 2011

Fire In My Bones (messages from the pulpit)

Jeremiah 20: 9
  "I say to myself, I will not mention him (The Lord), I will speak in his name no more. But then it becomes like burning fire in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it."
Romans 12:2
   "Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but be transformed by the renewal or your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect."
 Where do you go to school? I ask because sharing our faith is a horrible taboo. Kids cannot pray at school. What??? Is this a communist country? A news story came out where a kid was suspended from school for wearing a cross necklace and a Christian t-shirt. I don't remember all of the details but I do know the shirt wasn't aimed at conversion, it wasn't judgmental, and it wasn't graphic (showing graphic images of the crucifixion of Jesus). So why was this student punished?
If this country was formed in a great part was to pursue freedom of religion then how could this happen? I know that Jews and Muslims haven't gotten in trouble for wearing clothing that comes from their religious background. And if they have been then why? What about seperation of church and state? How could a government institution such as a school govern our ability to express our religious beliefs? I understand that a dress code should be in place. But where do we draw the line?
I think that school uniforms should be manditory! And I mean the modest "old school" uniforms where the girls had to wear full length skirts. So many times I've been on the bus where Catholic school girls were wearing short skirts that looked like something a stripper would wear.
My point? How are our kids going to share their faith without fear of punishment? If a young person has a fire in their bones, a burning desire to share The Word of God while at school but doesn't due to fear? What if that student only sees people that are hungry for God during school hours?
Sure God could provide another way for that person to be introduced to The Truth but what about the student that was told that sharing The Faith was against the rules? Will that witness become discouraged?
What happens when a student brings their Bible to free reading time? No! Don't you dare bring such vulgar propaganda into the hallowed ground of your school!
So it becomes necessary to think outside the box. Students must search the will of God. Be in the world not of it. God is beyond borders. He has no restrictions besides the ones we place on him. Say pray without ceasing. Wait for The Holy Spirit to show you how to bring His light into the darkness of the hallways of your school. As I said before careful how you present yourself.
Where there is a will there is a way. And God's will is far superior to the will of man.
For greater is He that is within me is greater than he that is in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment