Thursday, December 22, 2011

"Jump for Joy" (Messages from the pulpit)

Luke 1:39-45
In this passage of scripture Mary who is carrying Jesus in her womb visits her cousin Elizabeth who is carrying John The Baptist in her womb. Mary's voice has quite the effect.
The baby in Elizabeth's womb jumps for joy.
Many people have said that this is a somewhat absurd story. Why? I'm sure it may have happened.
Do you get excited when your best friend is visiting from out of town?
Maybe go the extra mile to tidy up the house?
Perhaps you plan on making your friends favorite meal.
Does your heart rate speeds up when your beloved soul mate come home? 
Maybe during the holidays you get excited to spend the day with your family who truly loves you despite some quarrels here and there.
Think about this:
Even cats and dogs jump for joy when their owners come home. In my own life as soon as I come home the cats I live with jockey for position to get time on my lap.
So why not consider what The Gospel of Luke says about the joy that comes upon Elizabeth and her son sense the presence of the Son of God?
If we are gentle in spirit, joyful, happy, light hearted, friendly, and filled with the spirit of God then perhaps people including strangers will light up when we pass by.
The Holy presence of God can light up the darkest of days, the darkest of hearts, in the darkest corners of the world.
The joy of the Lord has become my strength. 
I get excited when I hear an encouraging word whispered in my ear by the Holy Spirit whether in quiet meditation or while listening to the words of a sermon.
I nearly jump for joy when I wait in glorious anticipation to receive Holy Communion.
So jump for joy. God is always near.


No comments:

Post a Comment